Re: Re: Waiting for modem to come ready............

Hi,
the lines with the numbers from 1 to 6 are the gettys which
give you your initial login to the system.
DON'T TOUCH THEM, they are essential for your system.
you must insert the line you found in the posting into /etc/inittab,
and then do an "telinit -q" or an "init q", (depending on your system)
to activate the inserted line
have a nice day and a happy new year.
Christoph

George Zeigler schrieb:

> Hello,
>         I believe that maybe my faxgetty is not set up correctly in my
> /etc/inittab
>         Can someone please take a look at the below snippet and see if it
> looks OK.
> <snip>
> # getty-programs for the normal runlevels
> # The "id" field  MUST be the same as the last
> # characters of the device (after "tty").
> 1:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
> 2:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
> 3:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
> 4:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
> 5:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
> 6:123:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
> <snip>
>         What is with the "--noclear tty1"?  My serial port for my modem is
> ttyS1.
>
>         I found this advice pasted below in an earlier part of this thread
> >
> > # run faxgetty
> > fx:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 38400
> >
> > with your portname and speed.
> >
> > Do that, and 'telinit q' as root, to make it active, and your faxstat
> > should start doing what you expect.
>
>         I don't have a line that looks like fx:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty
> ttyS0 38400
>         Why not?
>
> Thanks
> George