Re: SuSE 6.2 Hylafax SuSEfax - Help!

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, George Zeigler wrote:

> Hello,
> 	(sent Nico, Ekkard, and HylaFax thread)
> 	Hello,
> 	I forgot about Christmas:-0
>
> 	I added ^george@george.hello$::: to my /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts file.
> If SuSE people are supposed to have this, why didn't SuSE do this for me
> automatically?

It's *VERY* configuration dependent. It's granting permission to that
machine with that username to access your FAX server. Since I work
inside a local domain with the fax ports blocked at the router, I
simply open it to all machines on the same Class C or in my local
domain, and check the logs now and then to make sure people don't
abuse it. You might want to try something like this this for debugging
purposes.

Note that in the most recent versions of HylaFAX, such as 4.1beta1 or later,
this file has been renamed to hosts.hfaxd. This prevents confusion with
the /etc/hosts file, which has happened in the past.

> 	It now looks like
> localhost
> 127.0.0.1
> ^george@george.hello$:::
> 	I got the george.hello from my rc.config file, which probably has a
> different name in RedHat.
> FQHOSTNAME="george.hello"
> 	So I guess that is my machine name.

I guess so! You might want to base the access instead on IP address, if you
want to provide access to machines connected to yours.

> 	I deleted all the config files in /var/spool/fax/etc directory and
> redid faxsetup and faxaddmodem.  Set my modem to class 1.  Spammed Deja
> with request for a config file for a Linksys card with HylaFax.
> Contacted Linksys too.  Nothing so far.

I've had good luck with Linksys NE2000 compatible ethernet cards, but
don't personally know anyone besides you who's tried their modems.

> 	I changed over from /var/spool/fax/etc/dialrules over to
> /var/spool/fax/etc/dialrules.europe since I am living in Moscow, Russia
> .  Don't know what the difference is.

It tries to figure out more fully what a local vs. long-distance call
is for European vs. American telephone number standards, and use the
right long-distance dialing protocols.

> 	I made two changes in my files according to the troubleshooting section
> of HylaFax.  Neither seemed to do much good.
> 1)	I put a command in the etc/syslog.conf
> "local5.debug                    /var/spool/fax/etc/syslog"
>  Got this out of the trouble shooting secion of the HylaFax html pages.
> It didn't work.  No big deal, but am wondering why not?

Do you have debugging turned on? You can look in the hfaxd manual page
for some details on this, and look in the $SPOOLDIR/etc/config file to
see how logging is set on your system.

> 2)	Changed the ServerTracing in /usr/lib/fax/hfaxd.conf from 0x001 to
> 0x3
> Not sure exactly what that did.

> 	This is the results from my /var/log/messages.  What is with the
> missing ':'?
> <snip>
> 	Dec 22 04:37:22 george kernel: tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> Dec 22 04:37:26 george /usr/sbin/cron[145]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
> Dec 22 04:37:28 george FaxQueuer[185]: Missing ':' separator in modem
> class specification

It's a concern. Did you accidentally set a "ModemGroup"?

> <snip>
> 	This is the results from "faxstat -s"
>
> HylaFAX scheduler on dial57183: Running
> Modem ttyS1 (+7.095.944-1415): Waiting for modem to come ready
>
> JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
> 10   127 W   root 941-8480      0:0   0:12
> 11   127 W   root 941-8480      0:0   0:12
>
> Here is a copy of my config.ttyS1 file.  I would have attached it, but
> the HylaFax thread seems to throw attached file into the email itself
> automatically anyhow.  I notice that the ModemDialCmd: line is commented
> out.  Is it supposed to be?

Hmm. I've been trying to straighten out the "config/skel" files, etc.,
to remove the extraneous debris and make the configuration files more
legible. I believe that that patch is in the latest 4.1beta2 source
code: it'll shorten these files by a *lot*.

And I don't see any boobytraps in what you have sent as your config
file.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary