Re: Failure to forward mail - still waiting for help

fonts

styles

David,

Thanks for the comments.  Can you clarify the following:

>What have you got in your received fax handler script.  Faxes are not
>emailed
>unless you configure the system to do so; only a notification of the receipt
>is mailed by default.

I don't even get the notification of receipt mailed on - this is the first problem.  Is the fax handler script 'FaxDispatch' ?  If so, there seems to be some confusion over where to put it - I've seen several suggestions on mailing lists.  The Hylafax instructions could do with some clarification in this respect.

>> Nov 28 00:42:51 Wallace FaxGetty[1038]: RECV FAX (00000103): recvq/
>fax00004.tif from Iain Stevenson, route to <unspecified>, 2 pages in 1:31
>
>Looks like you haven't configured a destination for this sender.

I wish I knew how to configure a destination - please tell me.  Again,. the maze of documentation and scripts does not make this clear.  In any case, why does Hylafax know where to route the "wedged" message and not other messages?

>> Nov 28 00:42:51 Wallace FaxGetty[1240]: OPEN /dev/faxmodem
>
>This is asking for trouble.  You must use the same device name for all
>applications that access the device.

As far as I'm aware, the fax modem is the only device connected to the port (ttyS1) and Hylafax is the only program running on it.  Data connections go through a separate serial port to an ISDN TA.  I'll have another check.

>You shouldn't run non-essential stuff as root.

As a Linux newbie I'm working on the assumption that "if it doesn't work as root it will never work at all".  I've already had some problems with my installation of LinuxPPC that have turned out not to be misconfigurations on my part but failures in LinuxPPC itself.  When I get a stable system I'll set up extra accounts.

  Iain

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions