sometimes getting EOP error with same fax machine

I've been getting what seems to be the "unfortunately-too-common" EOP
re-transmission problem when sending faxes.  I'm using HylaFAX on my SuSE
6.2 Linux machine.  I've spent the time reviewing the archived messages for
this mailing list concerning this problem, and from the multiple postings I
came to the conclusion that there are "old fax machines" out in the world
that don't "talk right" which causes this problem.  Other fax programs and
fax machines can talk to the "old fax machines" because of incomplete error
checking, etc, and HylaFAX requires the correct handshaking.  Not the
answer I wanted to discover, but I could understand it.

What I've found in my testing, however, is that it's not just the fax
machine...the EOP problem is dependent on the document being sent.  I've
been testing using a single fax machine, and sending one page
documents.  Some documents are successful, some are not and go through the
"3 retries" sequence.

Does anyone know what attributes of a document could be causing this
problem ???  Does it have to do with the amount of data on the page ???

Thanks,

Mike Wilhelm

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions