Re: modem 1000$ question

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 10:16:47AM -0700, Larry Lipstone wrote:
> > Yes, Larry, but you missed the thrust of my comment: in most cases, if
> > the call coming in is not local, and even sometimes if it is, the CNG
> > tones will not be passed to the called line by the switch, so they will
> > not be there for the modem to hear, until it goes off hook.
>
> I really thought twice about extending this thread, but what the heck!
>
> While what you say is quite true -- that there is often no forward voice
> path from the caller to the called line until the called line answers --
> the cases where I have seen this feature used are where the answering
> machine and fax device are connected in parallel, and the answering
> machine answers the call immediately while the fax device passively
> listens.  Since the machine has answered, there is a voice path, and the
> fax device will hear the CNG tone if it's being sent.

D'oh!

> If it does hear it, generally while the answering machine's greeting is
> being played, it answers the call also.  Hopefully you've got the
> kind of answering machine that detects that event and releases the call
> itself, so the call is effectively switched to the fax box.
>
> OK, that was my 2c.  Now back to real work...

I'm glad you did; I'd missed the obvious.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions