Re: modem 1000$ question

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 01:57:17AM -0700, TheBong Pipe wrote:
> After a modem dials out, it beeps before the answer from the remote machine.
> This is what my modem is not doing; it waits without a single beep. This
> does not affect the normal comunication with fax machines attached to an
> exclusive phone line, but the ones where a human answers the phone, because
> there's a single line for fax or voice; after the "hello?" the modem times
> out, then hangs up. What is the AT string that enables that beep?The modem
> is Trust Communicator 28.8 upgraded to 33.6

Those tones are called CNG, or calling tones.  If your faxmodem isn't
generating them on outbound calls, my snap reaction is: get a newer
modem.  :-)

Seriously; almost every faxmodem built in the last 10 years has known
to send those automatically when originating calls in fax mode.  It's
so automatic that I don't even know that there's a knob to adjust it.

In general, it really should only affect calls to fax switches, which
need the beeps to route calls to the fax machine.  Most fax machines
shouldn't care, if they're on dedicated lines.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions