Re: faxmodem -> faxgetty

In message <19990905135138.63794@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>, "Jay R. Ashworth" writes
:
>On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 04:08:28PM +0100, Darren Nickerson wrote:
>> >Why ? Suse says that faxgetty can receive FAXes, too.
>> >What else can I use to receive a FAX ?
>>
>> You misunderstood David's comment. He was telling you that you should always
>> run faxgetty. Even if you are only sending. Not running faxgetty is the most
>> common misconfiguration of HylaFAX(tm).
>
>Well, Darren, to be fair, it's not "officially" a misconfiguration -- yet.

*grin*

Depends upon your reading of man faxq I guess:

       faxq may be run by itself to provide outbound-only services or it may
       be run together with one or more faxgetty(8C) processes, in which case
       inbound services (e.g. receiving facsimile) are provided.  When faxq
       is run by itself the set of available modems must be specified using
       the faxmodem(8C) command.  Each modem specified in this way is assumed
       to exist and to be capable of use as a facsimile modem.  When faxq is
       run in conjunction with faxgetty processes, it is not necessary to use
       faxmodem to specify modems; instead the programs communicate information
       about the status and capabilities of each modem.  The latter setup
       provides a more robust and powerful system and is the intended way for
       the software to operate.

-Darren

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions