Re: Waiting for modem to come ready............

> This also exposes one of the major weaknesses of the current init; I'd
> really like to see a version that not only reads /etc/inittab, but
> maybe the contents of /etc/inittab.d/*, for all non-hidden files in
> that directory, or possibly all that end in a '+' sign.

init is so fundamental to the system that it needs to be fairly simple,
although Linux would be a good place for this sort of feature creep.

> This would make it _much_ easier for installed packages to interact
> with inittab, in much the same fashion that they can now easily
> interact with /etc/rc.d/init.d.

SCO Unix reconstructs the working inittab from such a directory every
time you reconfigure the kernel.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions