Re: help! Hylafax system logging is broken!

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 03:09:29PM -0600, kyle.silfer wrote:
> >> After I did this, the normal system logging from Hylafax that used to =
> >> appear in /var/log/messages is no longer appearing. Hylafax is running =
> >
> > It uses syslog, so it won't directly reference this file name.
>
> Well, apparently it can't find syslog anymore. Does anybody know where you're supposed to tell it to find this program? At compile time with the "configure" script like everything else? If so, which category does syslog fall under? Directory for applications? lib executables?

If syslog is not running on your machine (try 'ps -ef | grep syslog' or
'ps aux | grep syslog', depending on your version of ps), then it
probably wasn't started at boot time.

This Is Bad.

For RedHat machines, try running ntsysv(8) as root; for other
distributions, you'll have to know something about SysVinit file
management that varies by distro.

If it _is_ running, something else entirely is wrong.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions