Re: transmit errors

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 11:11:50PM -0400, Michael Blaustein wrote:
> David Woolley writes:
>  > > successfully to two local phone numbers.  My attempts to send to a long
>  > > distance line have failed, in the following way:
>  > Change the modem, or your long distance carrier.  Taken together the
>  > symptoms imply a line quality problem or a modem that cannot cope with
>  > marginal quality lines.
> Neither one is practical at this point.  Are you implying that there's
> nothing I can do with the configuration of the modem?

That is a possibility, Michael.  Can you swap in another type of modem
at least temporarily, to see if the problem clears up?

Remember, this could be a false correlation, too: it might just be that
the two fax machines your modem won't cooperate with are long-distance.

Can you do some LD test faxes with different numbers?

You might try equal-access dialing via a different carrier, too; some
carriers still use compressed long-distance trunks that play havoc with
faxes.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions