transmit errors

Hello,

I've resubscribed to this list after a hiatus.  Please help with this
problem in sending.

The software is configured all right, I think: I have sent faxes
successfully to two local phone numbers.  My attempts to send to a long
distance line have failed, in the following way:

The recipient tells me that the image is squashed, as if the paper got
jammed in the machine (but it did not).  I know about the AT+FDIS
problem with Class 2 modems (as mine is) from the doc.  I tried
putting
        Class2DDISCmd:      AT+FDIS
in the config.modem file, commenting out the line
     Class2DDISCmd: "" # disable pre-dial DIS command hack but the
modem refuses   to cooperate at all with that setup.  (The log file says
                 MODEM Command error . . .:
   . . . [ 959]: SEND FAILED: Unable to setup session parameters
                              prior to call (modem command failed)
)
How should the command look in config.modem?

Still, it seems that this may not be the trouble, since as I said, I
can transmit successfully to at least some fax machines.

Here is the relevant part of the log for my last try:
 <-- data [1034]
 <-- data [212]
 SENT 34004 bytes of data
 SEND 1D RTC
 <-- data [9]
 SEND end page
 SEND send EOP (no more pages or documents)
 <-- data [2]
 MODEM TIMEOUT: reading line from modem
 REMOTE HANGUP: Unspecified Transmit Phase D error,
       including +FPHCTO timeout between data and +FET command (code 50)
 <-- [7:AT+FKS\r]
 MODEM TIMEOUT: reading line from modem

On other tries, I have got
     Unspecified Transmit Phase B error (code 20)
and
     DCS sent 3 times without response (code 25)
and
     REMOTE HANGUP: No response to EOP repeated 3 times (code 54)

The docs don't say much about how to troubleshoot such errors.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Michael Blaustein
mblauste@capaccess.org