HYLAFAX/SendPage peculiarities.

I am using HylaFax v4.0pl1 under Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.8.1;
USR Courier v.everything modem .. firmware unknown.

Sorry .. no trace info .. I'm kinda hoping that you might be able to
suggest a solution from my general description.

Faxing has been in for a while and is working well. We recently
decided to add paging support and have tailored the necessary
config and support files.

Initial testing from the machine where the HylaFax daemon runs
(where the modem is attached) and all works well.

If I attempt to issue a page from a system remote from the
HylaFax server, the page requests arrives and is acted upon by the
HylaFax software. What we see is an error message emailed back to
requester suggesting that the transmission of the fax failed
with "no carrier detected". I believe this is then retried after
the wait interval has expired. No subsequent errors are returned
to the sender. What is interesting is that not only does the
page go off on the successful retry .. but it also when off
(apparently) when the error was noted. So ... pages from
remote systems always generate a "no carrier" error (but the
page really does go through) and on retry, the page goes through
as well. The desired pager gets two pages instead of one.

So .. we wanted to work around the problem and coded the request
to do an rsh to the fax server, to issue the sendpage command
locally and hopefully avoid the double paging annoyance. This
works in that we only get one page, but the process created never
goes away.

I expect that I have a configuration problem but haven't been able
to see what I have done wrong to this point .. but then, I am not
very familiar with the fax product at this point.

If this isn't a known problem, please let me know what doc
I should provide to help see what the problem is.

Thanks,

Chuck Reid
ITS/NCSM

chuck@julian.uwo.ca