Re: wedged??

David Woolley wrote:

> 1) USR no longer exists (taken over by 3COM, I think).

Well, yeah, but the box says 3Com U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem, and the
modem itself looks like every USR modem I've ever seen except its a
light grey in colour rather than a darkgrey, and its red livery also
says 3Com U.S. Robotics, so lets not get too bogged down in semantics
please.

> 2) USR made two ranges:  the couriers, a quality modem intended for
> server use; and the Sporster, a made to the price modem for occasional
> desk top use.  If you are using a Sportster for a critical
> application, you are probably applying false economies.

Possibly.  However the box and the modem itself use neither the
terminology "Sportster" or "courier" so which is it then?  The only
other writing on the modem is that it is made in Ireland and that 3Com
corporation is based in Santa Clara CA.

Its technical specs say

56 Kbps V.90 ITU standard
56 Kbps x2 Technology
33,600 V.34, V.32bis, V.32, V.22bis, V.22, V.23 and V.21 ITU standards
V.42/MNP 2-4 error correction
V.42bis/MNP 5 data compression
Class 1 and 2.0 Group III 14.4 Kbps fax with V.17, V.29, V.27ter ITU
standards
Plug&Play automatic  installation and configuration
V.80 ready

Secondandary to that, if it is connected to a server that periodically
uses it (say, once a day) is that more important than a desktop that is
uses it 20 times a day (he asked philosophically) ?

--
Didds
Mobile phone deals and PCs at low cost.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions