Re: FW: Whose looking after Hylafax?

> I think an item that prevents Hylafax from being actively maintained and
> improved is that fact that so much of it is written in c++. I may be way off
> base here, but I know that's what prevents me from mucking around with the
> code. There just aren't as many c++ hackers as there c hackers, and the few
> that are out there are probably working for Microsoft :-)

Hmm.... I've just been putting the finishing touches on a C++ GUI using Qt on
a Linux system....

But --

1.  Migrating from C++ to C would entail a complete rewrite of the code,
and I strongly object to idea since it would inevitably break something that's
been extremely robust over many years.

2.  In my own experience, C++ is hard to start with, but gets much easier with
time.  In fact, Hylafax was my first introduction to C++.  Just compile with
the -g option, and get out gdb, and go.  It's much easier to work with an
existing code set than to start from scratch.

3.  Knowing C++ will make you more marketable.

So, hack away!

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions