FW: "Waiting for modem to come ready!" with more than two modems!!

Even if his kernel supports IRQ sharing, no ISA serial port board that I've
ever seen supports IRQ sharing between different boards. There are serial
boards that multiplex many ports on one IRQ, but none that allow multiple
boards to share IRQs.

Ulrich, if you want 4 "dumb" (16550 UART type) serial ports, you are going
to have to assign each it's own interrupt. You didn't mention what type of
serial port hardware you are using, but it sounds like you have a couple of
standard two port boards, or perhaps two ports on the motherboard, and a two
port card.

If that is the case, you may be out of luck. Many (most?) two port serial
boards only allow for IRQ 3 or 4. If that is the only choices for both
cards, you can't use them together. Otherwise, try jumpering your COM3 and
COM4 (0x3e8 and 0x2e8) to IRQs 5 and 9. You will have to use the "setserial"
command to tell the serial port drivers which IRQs the ports are using.

You may want to investigate an intelligent serial IO board such as a
RocketPort. You can get several (8 or 16) ports on one IRQ.

One bit of warning: I've never tried *any* intelligent serial board on a
linux system, but I have tried them on an older Intel based unix system. The
intelligent IO boards just never seemed to have the bugs worked out.