Re: Modem config.tty** Database

The database is a great idea, I agree, all along.
Regarding the ati results: In addition to what you
suggest I think the firmware version the config file
has been tested with should go somewhere.

Even better: __Any__ firmware and modem version a
config file has been tested with should be listed
in the db, along with information if it works or not.

	Peter

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 12:33:50PM +0000, Phil Watkinson wrote:
> >http://www.xtremeweb.de/hyla/
>
> Hi,
>
> I think your online database is very good; the WODA software (if
> that is the name of the interface) looks very handy.
>
> Can I suggest a couple of changes to the database structure?
>
> I wonder if it maybe preferable to keep the config data in a
> seperate (text) file, and simply show a hyperlink to it in the
> database record. This would :
>
>     * make it easier for users to download - the current display
>       unfortunately has many lines wrapped round;
>
>     * reduce the size of the database, where more than one modem
>       uses the same config file;
>
>     * the browse screen would be more compact.
>
> It would also (ah, the real reason!) make it easier to merge back
> into the HylaFAX distribution the fruits of your labours (and those
> of your contributors).
>
> HylaFAX keeps generic and specific prototype config files in the
> /var/spool/fax/config directory, which are used by the faxaddmodem
> script to create an individual config file. The man page for
> faxaddmodem gives a clear account on how this works. Sometime in
> the future it would be great if these files could be updated with
> the information from your database.
>
> In a previous mail, you asked if there were other fields to add to
> the database, in particular ATI commands. The responses from ATI
> commands seem to vary so much from protocol to protocol and from
> maker to maker. Can I suggest, instead, a single field to hold the
> class and the flow control for the modem?
>
> The new field would hold a combination of either 'CLASS1', 'CLASS2'
> or 'CLASS2.0' *and* 'RTSCTS' or 'XONXOFF'.
>
> So, the entry for a modem would be, for example :
>
>      Manufacturer :        Multi-Tech Systems
>      Model        :        MT2834ZDX
>      Operation    :        CLASS2 RTSCTS
>      Config File  :        mt-1432.txt
>      Comments     :        Works well with standard config file
>                            mt-1432 from HylaFAX v4.0pl2.
>      Sender       :        Phil Watkinson <pkw@elgro.co.uk>
>
> What you do think?
>
> A final thought. Carsten Hoeger <choeger@suse.de> is writing a
> graphical version of faxsetup with the faxaddmodem functionality.
> Rather than using the probemodem script, the current version allows
> the user to select their modem from a list. Your database (in a flat
> file form) would fulfill his needs for that list.... is it something
> on which you could collaborate?
>
> Sorry for a long post,
>
> mfG,
> Phil Watkinson,
> Boston, UK.

	  The manual said the software required Windows 95
	  	   or better, so I installed Linux.