Re: RTN Problem

At 16:15 2/12/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> 4) Try class 1, just in case there is something funny in the modems
>> firmware
>
>Class 1 works! It really seems to point to a modem problem.

Yes it does look like the modem or its configuration.

>> I might be on drugs, but there might also be other problem that is
>> not handled yet - it appears that when ghostscript encodes a tiff
>> document it includes the RTC sequence at the end of each page, when
>> sending a fax hylafax just copies this out the port to the receiving
>> machine and then adds its own RTC ie the RTC is sent twice.
>
>> But i might be imagining this, i haven't had time to check this out
>> properly.
>
>I also have tried to send a fax from the fax machine to the computer
>and then send the received file back, so no ghostscript would be
>involved. I still get RTN.

The received faxes also have RTC encoded ie running cqtest on a received fax:

[rjc@hpuxd220 recvq]$ cqtest fax08266.tif
1728 x 297, 3.85 line/mm, 1-D MR, lsb-to-msb
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1127, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1128, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1129, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1130, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1131, got 0, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: Bad 1D pixel count, row 1132, got 1830, expected 1728
RECV/CQ: adjusting for trailing noise (6 run)
RECV: 1127 total lines, 0 bad lines, 0 consecutive bad lines
[rjc@hpuxd220 recvq]$

There are 6 EOL characters in a row at the end of the page, which is the
RTC for a 1D encoded fax.    This is the same situation as ghostscript
which also adds the RTC onto the end of each page.

If hylafax resent this it should either remove this from the end of each
page or not bother to add its own RTC onto the end.  Hylafax might be doing
this already i have not yet checked.

- Robert

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions