Re: HELP: My hylafax won't send

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 shui@pointsnorth.com wrote:

> I desperately need some advice on the following problem.
>
> I'm running HylafaxV4.0pl1 with US Robotics 56K fax modem connected to a
> DGII PortServer 8 terminal
> server.  Everythin worked fine through the terminal server with the 56 K

Proceed directly to v4.0pl2 for update and security reasons. There are
also some patches that I recommend at
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax.patches/.

> fax modem when it was
> installed it on a Sparc 5 machine running Solaris 2.6.  Yesterday, after
> all the testing,
> I moved the fax modem and the terminal server and connected them to a
> production unit Netra
> unning Solaris 2.6.  Fax can be received, however I CAN'T send anything
> out.  It keeps complaining that
> line is busy.  The only difference I can tell is that the phone system
> where the production unit locates is
> on PABX whereas the test I've done in the lab has all the normal phone
> lines i.e. in the production building,
> I need to dial 9 in order to gain access to phone lines whereas I don't
> need to do the same thing in the test lab.

Dialing 9 first can be handled by modifying your "dialrules" file,
as in http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/dialrules.ext.

> The next thing I tried is to hylafax totally out of the picture first in
> order to isolate the problem.  I stopped the hylafax
> processes and perform "tip /dev/term/a003" into the modem (that's the new
> device ID after terminal server is
> installed).  When I issued the modem command : ATDT15552262299.  The modem
> also returned me that the
> line is BUSY, which it shouldn't be.

Use tip. Connect to the line. Type "at&fm1l0" to turn on the sound
with the other settings at factory default. "LISTEN" to what happens
when the modem dials.

> What might be the problem?  Am I supposed to issue a delay after dialing 9.

Usually wise. What you want to add is "9,", where comma will tell it to wait
for another dial tone.

> I know it's not even the problem
> with hylafax since hylafax was not enabled and still I got the same error.
> I guess it's more modem related.

You are probably quite right.

> Please excuse me 'cause I don't know a lot about modem commands.  What
> should I try?
>
> I believe in this case, the terminal server shouldn't cause any problem
> since it used to be working with the same
> settings.  The only difference here, as far as I can tell, is the
> difference in phone system.

The terminal server sits on your local ethernet, or is it a serial
port device mounted on your Sun computers? If it's on ethernet, can you
operate it from the formerly used Sun?

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary