Re: running faxcover or sendfax from crontab SOLVED!!!

Yves Carlier wrote:

> hello you all,
>
> Is there somebody out there who has been running sendfax or faxcover
> succesfully from the crontab?
> sendfax exits with an error about running faxcover.
> Any help would be appriciated.
>
> YC

Thanks to Tom Phoenix <rootbeer@teleport.com> I could locate the
problem.
Linux RH 5.x seems to have a buggy cron daemon, providing an environment
in which the signal from the child is being ignored.

Adding 1 line to the sendfax.c++ file solved my problem.
at line 278 in sendfax/sendfax.c++, add the line

    signal(SIGCHLD, fxSIGHANDLER(SIG_DFL));    // by YC

Some more clever minds maybe can say if it is necc. to "reset" this
child-signal at line 267.  I don't know.

The same patch can be done in the file sendpage/sendpage.c++.

After recompiling, it is now possible to call the sendfax program
from a crontab job, on Linux RH 5.x (Intel)

I'm not sure if this patch breaks the program on other platforms.
Maybe it should be checked by somebody who has access to one.
And maybe this patch can be incorporated in the main distribution?
If not, at least it should go in the RH rpm-distributions ;-)

YC

--

    \\||||//
      -  -
    ( .  . )                Yves Carlier
Yves.Carlier@barclab.com
--oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------------------------------------------
Bio Analytical Research Corporation (BARC)               Tel.(32) 9 220
49 81
                                                         Fax.(32) 9 221
85 17
Address:                                         Location:
   Industriepark Zwijnaarde 7 B3                      EDP-department
   9052                     GENT                      BARC 3
   Belgium                                            office 081
      oooO   (   )
       \_)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions