Re: Fixed Font for Ghostscript

Paul,

Here's what I did!  Don't know if its right, but what the hell :-)

1.  Copy the files to the /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts  directory.
This is where mine are but obvioulsy      use your own directory here.

2.  cd ..

3.  Edit the Fontmap file so that Courier maps to the correct file.
	i.e.
	/Courier		(courier.pfa)	;

      You'll also need to add a '%' to all other instances of the /Courier
line to stop the font from being       redefined.

4.  Repeat for any other fonts you need.

5.  Try sending another fax!

This worked for me so maybe it'll wotk for you.  The font is very clear and
seems to work well and gives a lovely output - all the lines line up, the
ascii boxes are closed etc etc etc

Glad to be of help.

david
----------
> From: Paul S. Russell <paulr@cmysys.com>
> To: flexfax@sgi.com
> Subject: Re: flexfax: Fixed Font for Ghostscript
> Date: 19 October 1998 13:39
>
> On 18 Oct 98 at 22:38, David Reid wrote:
>
> > Paul,
> >
> > I finally found what I was looking for (sounds like a song title
> > doesn't it?) after a few hours of web surfing.  The solution always
> > seemed to me to find a fixed pitch font, and as courier is one of
> > the most widely used I searched high and low (another song title??)
> > until I found such a font with a font metrics file.
> >
> > There seem to be a few fonts out there without a font metrics file,
> > but I finally found one that had an .afm file.
> >
> > Grab it from
> > http://www.mit.edu:8001/afs/sipb.mit.edu/contrib/postscript/Submit
> > (I've attached the URL below)
> >
> > I'm still not very happy about having to hard code the font details
> > into the mailfax file but until I get a better answer...
>
> David; I'm replying via the list in case anyone else is as clueless
> as me and therefore might be helped by yr response.
>
> I've downloaded all the files.  What next?  Do I just copy them to
> /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts ???
>
> I see I already have a Courier-Bold.afm which I assume is what I'm
> using right now for e-mail_to_fax msgs.  Shd I just trash this?   And
> what are the *.pfa file?  Do I need these too?
>
> Sorry for the dumb questions...
>
> --paul
>

>   Paul S. Russell, CMY Systems Sdn. Bhd., Shah Alam, Malaysia
>   E-mail: paulr@cmysys.com  Web: http://www.cmysys.com/info/
>   Phone: +60 (0)3 559 4616  Fax: +60 (0)3 550 4249
>   Visit Malaysian Motorsports at http://www.cmysys.com/mmsports/

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions