Re: [Fwd: Administrator Privelege]

[Please leave the Cc: to flexfax mailing list,
 I generally don't reply to questions on private email]

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Keith Gray wrote:

> Jonathan Chen wrote:
> >
> > Read the FAQ:
> >
> >         http://www.vix.com/hylafax/FAQ/Q105.php
>
> Thanks Jon, I found this BUT I still don't have an ADMIN password that
> works...
> I am using RH5.1 ... is there a problem generating passwords because of
> PAM?
>
> I read in the man 5F hosts that a null password prevents admin access...
> the FAQ says it allows it...
>
> I get an error 503 "incorrect password" from the telnet attempt to
> "admin"
>
> Is there a default host file with user "admin" password "password" that
> you could send me (to alter later)

This won't work if the encryption method is different between systems.
You could try generating a password string on your local host with the
following C program (this assumes you're using DES on your system -
alter to suit for anything else).

Put the resultant string on your admin field. Make sure there are no
trailing whitespace.

Jonathan Chen
                      "Everything in excess, moderation is for monks!"
#include	<stdio.h>
#include	<stdlib.h>
#include	<unistd.h>
#include	<crypt.h>
#include	<time.h>

main (
 int	argc,
 char *	argv [])
{
	char	salt [3];
	time_t	now = time (NULL);

	if (argc < 2)
	{
		fprintf (stderr, "Usage: %s plaintext\n", argv [0]);
		return (EXIT_FAILURE);
	}

	if (getpid () % 52 > 26)
		salt [0] = getpid () % 26 + 'a';
	else
		salt [0] = getpid () % 26 + 'A';
	if (now % 52 > 26)
		salt [1] = now % 26 + 'a';
	else
		salt [1] = now % 26 + 'A';
	salt [2] = '\0';

	printf ("%s\n", crypt (argv [1], salt));
	return (EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions