Re: MultiTech MT2834ZPXb -- anything I should watch out for?

Tim Fredrick wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I finally gave up on our USR Sportster modem and purchased a MultiTech
> Systems MT2834ZPXb 33.6K bps data/fax modem (Multitech seemed to have
> a degree of compatibility with Hylafax in the FAQ web page.  We have
> the hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5 RPM installed under Redhat Linux 5.1 and kernel
> 2.1.122.
>
> I haven't even opened the box yet, but I thought I'd ask ... does anyone
> have a configuration script that will work with this modem?  Or can I
> expect things to work by just running faxaddmodem?  There is a file in
> /var/spool/fax/config/etc/mt-1432 -- would this file be a starting point
> if I have to configure my own settings for this modem?  Any other Multitech
> experiences (particularly with the MT2834ZPXb)?
>
> Thanks in advance!  --Tim Fredrick (fredrick@acd.ucar.edu)
>                       NCAR/ACD Computer Systems Administration

Tim:

We have been Multi-Tech resellers for many years and are currently
using the MT2834ZDX external modem (should be basically the same
as the ZPX internal) with HylaFAX v4.0 pl2.  We were able to run
faxaddmodem successfully where it selected the mt-1432.  HylaFAX
ran with no problems, and based on all the messages we see on the
list about USR, may represent a good choice for you.  However, we
run SCO OpenServer, and I can tell you that SCO definitely
discourages the use of internal modems with Unix; this may or
may not be a consideration with Linux.

Chen Coulter
software_sourcery@bigfoot.com

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions