Email fax gateway and sendmail 8.8.7

At 10:25 23/09/98 -0700, Ted Sudtell wrote directly to me:
>Phil, for us DUMMIES, what are the file names?  I have no *.mc file on
>RH 5.1 Sendmail 8.8.7-17.
>You say mailfax.sh-sendmail is out of date.  I do not use that file?
>If you have the time. could you be a little more detail?  Just what to
>put where.

RedHat splits sendmail into three packages. You also need :
                   sendmail-cf-8.8.7-17
and                sendmail-doc-8.8.7-17

They are on the distribution disk but unfortunately not installed
by default.

After installation, move down to the /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/cf
directory and look for a 'redhat.mc' file. This is a generic
configuration file for a single, dial-up user. Copy this to a
new file called 'northtech.mc' (or whatever you want; but by
tradition the hostname of your machine). Amend as required,
including the line 'MAILER(fax)' underneath the other MAILER
lines. Regenerate the sendmail.cf file with the command

              m4 northnet.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

and re-initialize sendmail with the command

              kill -HUP <pid of sendmail>

With version 8.8.7 and higher of sendmail, you don't need the
mailfax.sh-sendmail script, sendmail will call the faxmail
program directly. You can add parameters through the faxmail.conf
configuration file.

If you get stuck with the mc file contents, I have found the FAQ
at www.sendmail.org useful, and on your copy of this email I will
also include my mc file if that helps.

I, once upon a time, attempted to rewrite the html documentation
concerning the email-fax gateway, never to make it into v4.0pl2.
Perhaps if you are going to spend some time with this, you may be
interested to have a look and see what you can do. It's on my web
page at :

       http://www.elgro.demon.co.uk/hylafax/faxgateway.php

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,