Cannot compile...

Dear Sir,

I am using Slackware 3.4 with kernel ver 2.0.34. I've got tiff-v3.4 and
hylafax v 4 patch level 2. the problem is i just couldn't get it
correctly compiled.
i untar the source, do a ./configure, do a make and then i found out
when i do a make install, i found out that the file "sendfax" hasn't
been compiled. The reason is that the file "util/libfaxutil.a" hasn't
been compiled. so i go to the directory "util" and do a make
libfaxutil.a and a got the following error messages:

SendFaxJob.c++: In method `unsigned char SendFaxJob::createJob(class
SendFaxClie
nt &, class fxStr &)':
SendFaxJob.c++:499: no matching function for call to
`SendFaxClient::sendZData (
int &, unsigned char (FaxClient::)(fxStr &, fxStr &), fxStr &, fxStr &)'
FaxClient.h:273: candidates are: FaxClient::sendZData(int, unsigned char
(FaxClient::*)(fxStr &, fxStr &), fxStr &, fxStr &)
make: *** [SendFaxJob.o] Error 1

Seems to me is a compilation error. i read the documentation about
troubleshooting, it mentioned something about overriding the declaration
of strchr in string.h. I've checked /usr/string.h but i found strchr is
correctly declared as char* with parameter char* and int.

so i was stuck. i will be really happy if you can help me out. I got
really frustrated so please forgive me if i am wasting your valuable
time.

Thanks very much in advance.

Best regards
Leo