hylafax and diald

RedHat 5.1 (2.0.34-i586)
pgcc-1.0.3a w/ libg++-2.8.2-980708
glibc-2.0.7-13
hylafax-4.0pl1
diald-0.16.5
Zoom FaxModem 56Kx 2949 (V2.081-K56_2M_DLS-D V201)

After over a year running hylafax, mgetty, diald, and ifmail
(fido) on my home Linux box, it suffered a rather violent death
last week (Complete with explosion, smoke, and the stench of
burnt electronic parts).  After spending the weekend building a
new box, I have encountered the following problem.

I've gotten diald working by itself, and I've gotten hylafax
working by itself.  However, when I have faxgetty controlling the
modem, diald no longer works.  The reason being, after dialing
the number (my ISP), the modem begins sending originating fax
tones.  The remote picks up, hears the fax tones and terminates
the call.  I have no idea what is causing this since the
configuration files are backups of the ones that were working a
week ago.  The only difference between now and then are the
hylafax binaries I'm running.  Before I was running a set
compiled locally (before installing pgcc), and since those were
on one of the smoked hard drives, now I'm running the set from
redhat contrib.

In addition, if I run minicom while faxgetty is running, it does
not initilize properly upon startup.  I must issue a manual
initilize command (^a-m).  I've turned up the logging level on
hylafax, but nothing appears out of the ordinary.

Any aelp would be greatly appreciated, and if copies of logs or
cnfigs are needwd, I'll send them privatly instead of waste
bandwidth on the list.

Regards,
Jarrod Kinsley

--
         "J Kinsley" <jkinsley at BeYoND-THe-iLLuSioN dot CoM>
** On  a  planet  that  increasingly  resembles  one  huge  Maximum ***