Re: trace debugging help?

   Sender: didier@venise.magic.fr
   Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:23:40 +0000
   From: Didier Gautheron <dgautheron@magic.fr>
   Cc: flexfax@sgi.com

   Gary Sabot wrote:

   > I'm installing HylaFAX v4.0pl2 on Solaris 2.6/ultra 60 using gcc 2.8.1
   > (with the hylafax-gcc-2.8.x.sh patches).
   >
   > I can talk to the modem fine with tip.  I set up hylafax outgoing
   > only, with no other monitors interfering with it, but it can't seem to
   > talk to the modem (multitech 5634zbav).  Right after a I do a send,
   > the modem lights briefly flicker, then nothing, then a message from
   > Hylafax that repeated attempts to initialize the modem have failed.
   >
   > There are no new files in /var/spool/fax/log, even though my config
   You get only one when sending or receiving a fax and you aren't going to
   this stage.
   You'll find the messages in the syslog deamon files, (if you're using
   it).

Since I saw messages from the fax daemon in /var/adm/messages, I
mistakenly assumed that debug messages would appear there without
further syslog work.  After I did set up a .debug syslog.conf entry, I
was able to read the debug and find the problem in my config file,
some garbage that I think faxaddmodem (or my errant fingers) had
inserted in the middle of modem command.

Thanks to everyone for the quick and helpful responses!

Also, it turns out that the multitech 5634zbav uses a different
chipset than the old multitech default config file, so the hardware
flow commands are different.  In case any one else can use this info,
here is my attempt to turn my config file into a generic one:

# $Id: mt-1432,v 1.23 1996/06/24 02:58:36 sam Rel $
#
# HylaFAX Facsimile Software
#
# Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
# Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
# HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
# its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
# that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in
# all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names of
# Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
# publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
# permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
# EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
# WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
# OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
# WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF
# LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE.
#

#
# Configuration for a Multi-Tech MT5634zbav:
#
# has lucent chipset
#
# The modem has been tried with RTS/CTS flow
# control; this configuration is for hardware flow control.
#
#
# CONFIG: CLASS2: Multi-Tech-MT5634ZBAV-RTSCTS
#
# BEGIN-SERVER
# END-SERVER
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:		Class2		# use class 2 interface
ModemRate:		115200		# lock rate for DCE-DTE communication
ModemFlowControl:	rtscts		# default
#
ModemHardFlowCmd:	AT&K3		# hardware flow controlK3
ModemSoftFlowCmd:	AT&K4		# software flow controlK4
ModemSetupDTRCmd:	AT&D3		# setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd:	AT&C1		# setup so DCD reflects carrier (or not)
ModemSetupAACmd:	AT+FAA=1	# enable adaptive-answer in class 2
#
# NB: some models get confused by the @
#
ModemDialCmd:		ATDT%s@		# T for tone dialing, @ for silence
#
Class2RecvDataTrigger:	"\022"		# character sent to modem to start recv

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions