Re: Help: Typerules converting evrything to postscript

In message <3.0.5.32.19980717100654.007d68e0@cs111.crdgh.hnet.bc.ca>, Martin De
an writes:
>Hi.
>
>Everything I submit for faxing is converted to postscript, even files that are
> already postscript or in tiffg3 format.
>
>I suspect the problem is with the typerules file.
>
>Any comments, ideas ?
>

>Details: 	Pentium
>		Redhat 5.1,
>		2.0.34 kernel
>		ghostscript-5.10-6
>		ghostscript-fonts-std-5.10-6
>		ghostscript-fonts-other-5.10-6
>		hylafax-4.0pl2-1rh5

Gee, I _REALLY_ wish you wouldn't keep asking both me, in private mail, and then the list. I'm doing everything in duplicate here.

Please, choose a forum!

You are labouring under a false assumption, that ghostscript should NOT be called for a lot of these files (this from private mail). It does get called for rasterisation all the time ;-) check out ps2fax and tiff2fax for instance.Your primary concern, that ghostscript was firing up way too much and must be frigging up your pics is a non-issue. It's normal.

I suspect that your files themselves are at fault, that HylaFAX is somehow not able to type them because they do not contain the correct "magic" signatures. I further suspect that these files may have come from your Windows machine and have been corrupted in the transfer. This or you have indeed messed up typerules somehow. Have you modified this file (too lazy to extract your attached file and diff it).

Can you do

file yourfile.ps

on a postscript file which does not FAX properly and let me know what you see?

Then, also try to send this fax again, this time doing

sendfax -vv -d########### < myfile.ps

And send me (or us, whichever you decide on) the exact output, pasted in from your UNIX machine, so that there can be no errors (I see you're using Eudora on Windows!).

-Darren

--
Mr. Arlington Hewes           (tpcadmin@info.tpc.int)
The TPC.INT Subdomain          (http://www.tpc.int/)

       ***  FOR GENERAL INFORMATION                   ***
       ***         mailto:tpcfaq@info.tpc.int         ***
       ***  FOR A LIST OF CURRENT COVERAGE            ***
       ***         mailto:tpccover@info.tpc.int       ***
       ***  TO REPORT A PROBLEM (read the FAQ first!) ***
       ***         mailto:support@info.tpc.int        ***