Re: Running mgetty from faxgetty

peloy@ven.ra.rockwell.com wrote:
> I am succesfully running mgetty from faxgetty but am suffering of one
> minor problem: sometimes when a remote user calls to stablish a PPP
> connection, the modem answers and the Carrir Detect line goes active
> and the modem detects it is a data call so it fork mgetty (defined by
> getty-link). Well, it looks like when there is noise nothing gets
> transmitted so no login is forked on the server and the client gets
> tired of waiting and hangs. However, since it is mgetty the one that
> is running on the server, it does not realize Carrier Detect goes
> inactive and stays running, even though the modem is not off-hook.
>
> The consequence is that the server will not pick-up any more incoming
> calls until that getty-link process is killed.

Sounds to me like the config of your mgetty isn't right. I am not sure
how mgetty works, but if it is similar to normal getty it reads
/etc/gettydefs. In here is layed out the settings for the line once
mgetty starts up. One of the important settings it clocal. If this is
on, mgetty will ignore the carrier dropping. Once a call is received, do
an 'stty -a < /dev/...' Look at the clocal flag. If on, go and mess
around with gettydefs. If this is off, then a dropping carrier will
cause a SIGHUP to be sent to all the process on that port. This should
kill the mgetty and allow the port to be reused.

If you need more detailed help let me know.

Damian

* Damian Ivereigh     *      ||        ||      * Cisco Systems, Inc.   *
* MIS Printer Admin   *    .||||.    .||||.    * 408-526-4413          *
* Linux Bigot         * ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. * 800-800-1180 x64413   *
* damian@cisco.com    *   cisco Systems, Inc.  * Fax:   408-527-2563   *

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions