paging without entry in pagermap?

I am a newbie to hylafax. I was wondering if I can specify the pager
number and pin directly from the client.(without going thru the pagermap
in hylafax)

The SNPP protocol says the following under 4.3.1 PAGEr <Pager ID>

The PID used must reside in, and be validated by the paging terminal.

Does that mean that the pager id mapping(pagermap) is done always at the
server?

Another question - is there any client side library available that talks
SNPP? I am looking for a library to use in my application written in C.

thanks,

nagu

                     To do is to be  -Descartes
                     To be is to do  -Voltaire