Re: trouble with hosts-file

I had a similar problem. After installation (Linux Suse 5.2),
and first configuration, it was setup to run from inetd.
It was always running as uucp. Somewhere I read that you need
to run it as root, because it wants to do a change root which
is only allowed by root on some systems (?)
So I now run it as a standalone daemon (as root), and that solved
the problem for me.

I am still curious though how to make it run as root from inetd
instead of uucp, however I did not give it much attention.

Hope this helps,

Hans Feringa

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Burkhard Wolf wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've big problems with the hosts-file from HylaFax.
> I've added the users, which should have access-rights to the fax-server
> like this:
>
> root@127.0.0.1:::XXXXXXXX
>
> where XXXXXXX is the encrypted password like mentioned in /etc/shadow
> Then I've changed the file to mode 600, owned by User fax from the group
> uucp.
> User fax and Group uucp have the same uid 14.
>
> But everytime when I want to do "faxstat -srv" (or i.e. sendfax or
> something like this),
> I get the following message:
>
> Trying localhost (127.0.0.1) at port 4559...
> Connected to localhost.
> 220 Gruft.Wollis server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl1) ready.
> --> USER root
> 550 Cannot set privilegs.
> Login failed: 550 Cannot set privilegs.
>
> I'm trying since several days, with no success. Please note, that I can
> recieve facsimiles without any problems.
> I'm using SuSE-Linux 5.1 with kernel 2.0.32
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Bye
> Burkhard

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions