More news from ZyXEL's research with Hylafax

Dear all,

This is in continuation of my earlier postings about ZyXEL and Hylafax
and high frequency of errors, particularly Unspecified Transmit Phase B
errors and MPS repeat errors.

I have received a test version of the firmware for the ZyXEL Omni O288S,
which I have just loaded into my modem. I am supposed to report back to
ZyXEL with my error statistics after using this firmware for some time.
My TPC cell generates more than a hundred fax opportunities per day;
let's see how it works out. I have an error statistics script from the
TPC operators mailing list, which gives me the statistical breakup of
the errors. Let's see whether I can get any better results now.

It does appear that ZyXEL is taking us seriously. I am interacting with
some of their technical staff at Taiwan. As I'd reported earlier, they
have set up a PC with Linux, and then they've installed Hylafax, and
done all their trials with that. The outcome so far has been this
firmware version that they've sent me. This is commendable for a group
which had no previous experience with Unix or Hylafax.

Hylafax, when it probes the modem, now reports that I have firmware
version "OFAXTEST". I guess the "O" is for Omni.

I'll keep you posted. The very first fax that was attempted after the
new firmware upload, ended with an Unspecified Transmit Phase B error.
:) No silver bullets there. :)

regards,
Shuvam

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions