Re: Missing ':' separator ...

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Wolfgang Mettbach wrote:

>           Hello Tim,
>
> On Tue, May 5, 1998 you wrote about the subject
> 'Re: flexfax: Missing ':' separator ...':

> > What about /var/spool/fax/etc/config ?
> > If you have a line in there that starts with ModemClass
> > comment it out and se if it helps.
> >

> As a wellknown sailor would say now: "Blow me down!"
>
> That was the trick! I don't know how, but it finally works. :-)

Checking the man page on config(4) explains it.
ModemClass is NOT what class your modem is running in (1, 2, or 2.0)
>From the man page ...
     ModemClass-
          Define a logical name for a set of modem devices.  This
          parameter can be used to define a name that clients can
          use to refer to a collection of modems.  The syntax  is
          class and <regex> is a regular expression that faxq(1M)
          matches  against  known  modems.  Thus for example, the
          default modem to use for a  job,  any,  is  defined  as
          ``any:.*''.   This  parameter may be specified multiple
          times to define multiple modem classes.  Modem  classes
          may overlap.  The actual set of modems in a modem class
          that are considered for use may  vary  based  on  which
          modems are believed to be ready for use.

> The strange thing is that the file /var/spool/fax/etc/config looks like
> this now:
>
> LogFacility:            daemon
> CountryCode:            49
> AreaCode:               5251
> LongDistancePrefix:     0
> InternationalPrefix:    00
> DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
> ServerTracing:          1
> # ModemClass:		1
>
> As you can see, there is (and there was before) a ":" exactly where it
> should be. But after I commented out this line everything works.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Another question:
>
> When the server sends a fax I get the following message:
>
>    May  6 15:06:00 gateway FaxGetty[198]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
>
> Nevertheless the faxes are send correctly. Is this an error I need to
> worry about or can I safely ignore this message? What do I have to do to
> get rid of this message?

Make sure the DIR_LOCKS and LOCKS parameters are set correctly when you
run ./configure.
Double check the permissions on your uucp locks directory.
Make sure faxgetty is the only process using your modem port. Ie. no
getty or uugetty on that port.

--
Tim Rice			Multitalents	(707) 887-1469 (voice)
tim@trr.metro.net

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions