Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:32:10 -0600 (CST)
From: "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal@xnet.com>
To: flexfax@sgi.com
Subject: flexfax: problem with faxmail and MIME messages

Hello,

System: SunOS hurricane 5.5.1 Generic_103640-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
Hylafax Version: 4.0pl2

I've found a problem with multipart digests and faxmail; there is an
example digest sitting at:

    http://www.xnet.com/~emarshal/bad-mime-msg.txt

which demonstrates the problem (it's 25K, so I won't forward it to the
list). "faxmail -v" seems to work just fine, right up until it hits the
end of the file (line 617), at which point it seems to go into an infinite
loop with the following message repeated:

MIME part (line 617): message/rfc822 charset=us-ascii encoding=7bit

After a few thousand of these, it dumps core, since the machine runs out
of memory at this point. ;-) No useful information is made available from
the core.

The same behavior was noticed under 4.0pl1 (this was the reason I
upgraded, actually ;-). Any insights into this would be greatly
appreciated. Please let me know if any further information is needed.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@xnet.com>   -+-   BOFH, UNIX admin, Linux advocate

 Progress (n.):  The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart
 people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions