Re: TPC-OPER: Re: Large number of errors with Hylafax and

> Thanks for replying Matthias, but why won't anyone address the very technical points raised by Mr. Pollack?

[ Re wrapping to standard line lengths... ]

] Thanks for replying Matthias, but why won't anyone address the very
] technical points raised by Mr. Pollack?

I suspect that this is because the relevant standards are quite expensive
and not legally available on the net.  (ITU ones are on the net, but
only by subscription.)

] We have someone stating in no uncertain terms that HylaFAX's response to
] 'RTN negative' is wrong. Most respondents on-list refuse to address this
] problem, and those who do say anything about it do not feel they have
] the authority to know.
]
] This problem is particularly damaging since the recipient ends up with
] multiple pages of the fax (this should not happen!). Suppose your cell is

My naive interpretation of this error would be that the receiving machine
considers the line quality so poor that the printed fax is unlikely to be
of adequate quality - in particular, I would treat the negative as meaning
that the fax has not been accepted.  Many standalone fax machines have no
option to retransmit in this case, so it is only computerised systems,
or high end machines where this becomes an issue.

Note though that the last time I send a fax with a standalone machine, it
set error on the first page but ran through the remaining pages at normal
speed before printing a status report saying retransmit; that makes me think
that it may have had this condition and been encouraging human action to
retransmit after this sort of error.

] I have seen just as many problems with RTN at EOP in Sunnyvale
] Calif - this is _not_ a line noise issue, it's fairly specific to the

Given the nature of V.29 operation in fax, I would think that it was a poor
analogue signal, which could be poor line quality (not necessarily noise)
or a poor transmit or receive modem, but probably a mix of all of these.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions