Re: Large number of errors with Hylafax and ZyXEL Omni modem

Hi Shuvam,

I have seen quite a few postings from you.  While I must welcome
the efforts to better the software, YOU are the only one in a position
to really determine your environment, and what the problem is.

I have been involved with HylaFax for several years.  I have been on the
beta test list for most of that time, and put together the binary
distribution for AIX.

I run the TPC.INT Cell for Calgary, Canada using a 1990 vintage IBM RS6000
computer, with 7 MultiTech ZDX Modems.  I have also used ( in the past )
Practical Periphal Modems, with a fairly high sucess rate.

Though I have briefly visited India, I am not familiar with the telephone
infrastructure there, or even what area you are providing coverate for,
so forgive me if I make any assumptions that are not valid in your
environment.

I initially set up the fax software on our system at work to benefit
us at work ( funny that <g> ).  We have 7 phone lines that I wanted to
be able to dial in on, as well as use for outgoing data, and outgoing
faxes.  I do not use any of them for incoming faxes except for
massive testing of the system ( sending from 3 modems to receiving from
three modems ... ).

When I saw how reliable it worked for our purposes at work, even using
our old ancient RS6000 320's ( 1990 vintage ), I got interested in
offering the service to TPC.INT.

When I say reliable for our purposes at work, I REGULARILY send out 250
faxes to our clients and only have 1 or two failures due to flakey
serial ports, in which a resend invariably works.  So, I can send
250 faxes out ( typically ) three modems and have a marginal failure
rate.  Please understand, some of these receiving fax machines are old
manual faxes that need the "Receive" button pressed, others are relayed
through the phone systems, where sometimes someone will answer "line 5",
when line 5 is actually a fax, so they hang up real fast, all those
types of situations.

The classic one is a client that has to be at work to receive the fax
because the fax line is line 9 on the phone system, and they have to
manually forward the phone call to the fax machine at a certain extension
in order to receive the fax.  Sending faxes at night, with at 30 % discount
doesn't work with them :-(

When I joined TPC.INT, I was dismayed at the failure rate of the faxes.

I started worrying that the modems were no good, that the software was
no good, UNTIL I started monitoring the failed faxes.

For a period of several days, I dialed manually on a handset the phone
number of all faxes that failed.  While I did not keep records, I seem to
recall that out of about 20 failed faxes that I checked using a
telephone handset, only 5 or so  was actually a FAX MACHINE!

So, 15/20 failures that I experienced was due to a WRONG PHONE NUMBER
being entered.

The other ones..., who knows, full moon?

I will include an awk script that you can use to parse the xferlog
of HylaFax.  This will give a standard output that some of us on the
mailing list can compare to.

I am sorry that I can't give credit to the person who created this script,
but I am pretty sure I got it from the mailing list, so the records
should be there somewhere.

Here is a list of the errors that I have gotten recently.

I have "tweaked" the log files to show the stats as if they are for one
modem to shorten this email.

I have included two portions.

One is generated by our internal staff, hopefully to numbers that they
pretty much know are valid..., though typo errors do happen.

The second one is TPC.INT traffic.  I have broken this out so that a
comparison of the errors can be made.

Genie Computer Systems (1996) Inc. Internally generated faxes
Modem: tty5
Total faxes sent:                                                       414

Error                                                           No  Rate/1000
Unspecified Transmit Phase B error; too many attempts to sen     5     12.1
Unspecified Transmit Phase B error                              11     26.6
DIS/DTC received 3 times; DCS not recognized; Giving up afte     2      4.8
Can not open document file                                       2      4.8
                                                                 1      2.4
RSPREC error/got DCN                                             1      2.4
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout); too many attempts to send           1      2.4
Unknown problem (check modem power)                              3      7.2
Job aborted by user                                              5     12.1
No response to EOP repeated 3 times                              2      4.8
DIS/DTC received 3 times; DCS not recognized                     3      7.2
No carrier detected; too many attempts to dial                   3      7.2
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout)                                     10     24.2
Unable to transmit page (giving up after 3 attempts)             1      2.4
No carrier detected                                             64    154.6
Total                                                          114    275.4

-------------------------
TPC.INT generated Traffic
-------------------------
Modem: tty5
Total faxes sent:                                                       394

Error                                                           No  Rate/1000
Unspecified Transmit Phase B error; too many attempts to sen     7     17.8
Unspecified Transmit Phase B error                              16     40.6
Unspecified Transmit Phase B error; too many attempts to dia     1      2.5
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout); too many attempts to send           1      2.5
Unknown problem (check modem power)                              7     17.8
No response to MPS repeated 3 times                              1      2.5
No response to EOP repeated 3 times                              1      2.5
No carrier detected; too many attempts to dial                   4     10.2
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout)                                     41    104.1
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout); too many attempts to dial           4     10.2
No carrier detected                                            113    286.8
Total                                                          196    497.5

As you can see, the "No Answer"/"No carrier" messages are radically
different between the two situations.  180/1000 vs 400/1000.

What I would be interested in seeing is YOUR output from the below
awk script to see where exactly the errors you are having.

Please remember that these error statistics are being incremented ON THE
FLY.  If a fax fails twice, but works on the third time, TWO ERRORS ARE
STILL RECORDED.

I enclose an example from ONE OF OUR CLIENTS that demonstrates this...
Typically, this is where they have to plug the phone line from the
computer modem to the fax machine, then not answer line 3.  Maybe it
works on the third time...

( an exact excerpt from the log file )

Attempt One...
--------------
03/27/98 10:46	SEND	00000585	tty5	433	"OHIPFEE"	\
	faxuser@geniers.genie	"XXXXXXXXXXX"	""	65535	0	\
	1:16	0:00	"No carrier detected"

Attempt Two...
--------------
03/27/98 10:51	SEND	00000594	tty5	433	"OHIPFEE"	\
	faxuser@geniers.genie	"XXXXXXXXXXX"	""	65535	0	\
	1:32	0:03	"No answer (T.30 T1 timeout)"

Attempt Three...
----------------
03/27/98 10:57	SEND	00000603	tty5	433	"OHIPFEE"	\
	faxuser@geniers.genie	"XXXXXXXXXXX"	"XXXXXXXXXX"	33030	\
	2	1:56	1:11	""

YEAH!!!, it worked.

So, I am not sure how this is recorded in the AWK file.  Maybe someone
that is awake can take a boo at the script and say if these errors are
included.

Regardless, it would be worth seeing the output from the awk script
on your data files.

modem.errors
-------------
SNIP HERE
---------
#!/bin/sh
#
# errorstats - Script to parse error data out of xferlog
#
if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
	XFERLOG=$1
else
	XFERLOG=/var/spool/fax/etc/xferlog
fi
gawk -F "\t" '
	function doline(a, b, c) { printf "%-60.60s %5i %8.1f\n", a, b, c }
	{
		if ( $4 != "" ) total[$4] += 1
		if ( $11 == "0") {
			errname[$14] = 0
			errcount[$4,$14] += 1
		}
	}
	END {
		for (m in total) {
			printf "Modem: %s\n",m
			printf "%-68.68s %6i\n\n","Total faxes sent:",total[m]
			printf "%-60.60s %5s %10s\n","Error", "No","Rate/1000"
			printf "---------------------------------------"
			printf "---------------------------------------\n"
			tot = 0
			for (n in errname) {
				if ( errcount[m, n] > 0 ) {
					name = n
					gsub("\"","",name)
					rate = errcount[m, n] * 1000 / total[m]
					tot += errcount[m, n]
					doline(name, errcount[m, n], rate)
				}
			}
			printf "---------------------------------------"
			printf "---------------------------------------\n"
			doline("Total", tot, tot * 1000 / total[m])
			printf "\n"
		}
	}' $XFERLOG
---------
END

So, let's see WHY you are having the problems.  Maybe consider dialing
some of the failed fax phone numbers by hand and seing if they are
actually a fax machine or not.  After 10 or so random calls, you should
have a feeling if they are fax machines or humans answering the phones.
If it's the latter, not much HylaFax can do about that <g>..

Let's see your stats....

Take care,

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is
 no longer indespensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions