Re: Fonts for Hylafax

At 14:32 03/02/1998 +0100, neil.corlett@jrc.it wrote:
>It is possible to use TrueType fonts with Ghostscript 4 & 5, but you have
>to compile the driver in. Install the TTF fonts from a windows system on
>your UNIX box...[snip]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I would like to mention an alternative.

Using a TrueType driver for ghostscript doesn't help the HylaFAX faxmail and
textfmt programs since they need direct access to the font files. But there
is a program which will convert truetype fonts into postscript fonts. Details
can be found at :

	http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsaw/ttf2pfa.php

It is a simple program, which produces Type 3 .pfa and .afm font files, the
afm fonts being the ones that faxmail/textfmt are interested in.

I tried it with the Garamond truetype fonts, popped the resulting .afm files
in the HylaFAX afm font directory, changed the hyla.conf 'TextFont' tag and
off we went. The output looks certainly better, IMO, than the usual Courier
or Helvetica text. Going to try Wingdings next... :)

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions