Automated FAX to GIF or JPEG?

Does anybody have a good and public domain/free way to convert from fax
format into either JPEG or GIF automatically, without losing
significant quality (via using fax2ps and then converting from
PostScript) and *WITHOUT* someone manually having to use "viewfax" or
"xv" or "snapshot" and then manually save the file in its new format.

For example, I'd like an incoming FAX to automatically send mail, which
causes a script to run and the script would:

	1) Convert each FAX page into a separate GIF or JPEG file
	2) Copy those GIF or JPEG files to a web site directory.

Then you could display the FAXes via a browser.

(This would be under Solaris 2.x.)

So far I've tried various solutions which haven't worked:
	1) fax2tiff - to convert from FAX format to TIFF format.
	   tiffsplit - to split each individual FAX page into a separate file

	   tifftopnm - to convert each TIF file to PNM

	   However, there is no way to convert from pnm to GIF ot JPEG.

	   (And there also seems to be some loss of quality and
	   problems converting when fax2tiff, but that's a different
	   problem...)

	2) Then I've looked at tools such as "cjpeg" (as found in the
	   "xv" software), but these tools don't accept tiff or fax

	3) It doesn't look like "xv" can automatically convert between
	   file formats unless you manually use the mouse, so "xv"
	   is out.

	4) If you use "fax2ps" and then convert from PostScript to jpeg
	    or gif, then the quality of the FAX is significantly
	    worse than using "faxview/snapshot/xv".

I would guess somebody has a good solution for this, but maybe not.

Thanks for any solutions or ideas you have!

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions