Hylafax email gateway & other newbie questions

Newbie questions:

I am running the following configuration

Slackware 2.0.30
Sendmail 8.8.8
Hylafax 4.0pl1

Hylafax source was downloaded and installed, thanks, it is a great
product. The install went through fine and I only had 2 change 2 of the
paths whilst installing.I've configured faxq, and hfaxd to be started
automatically, as well as using faxgetty to contol my modem.  Whilst
sending from the command line, faxes are being sent out, cover pages are
correctly being resolved etc.

Problem being experienced:

I am trying to get the fax/mail gateway setup working. I have added the
rewriting rule under ruleset 0 in the sendmail.cf file. I've added the
fax mailer definition into the sendmail.cf file, I've copied the
mailfax.sh script file to the directory specified in sendmail.cf under
the mailer definition. I've managed to browse the systems log files and
tracked the mail messages being submitted to be faxed out. The mailer for
these messages that I addressed to Renier@3456788.FAX is being set to fax
on these messages according to the log file but the mailfax script is
never being run. The messages are just sitting in the sendmail que with
"host lookup deferred"  Are there specific permissions to be set on the
mailfax script, should it be called mailfax.sh or is mailfax ok. What am
I doing wrong ( Am I being stupid? )

Additional questions
1. You are referring to Lowest cost routing in the hfaxd man pages -
PLEASE I need full details on how to implement this.
2. I need to establish centralised billing/accounting info - how can I
achieve this?
3. How do I enable full audit trails under Hylafax ?( More of a status
tracking tool, including the lowest cost routing implementation
implications)
4. How do I submit ASCIII files from an MVS mainframe to HylaFAX, this is
currently being done via FTP from the MVS mainframe with    a JCL that
kicks in the FTP jobs to the existing fax solution that I obviously want
to get rid of.

Scenario that the lowest cost routing will be used for:
Corporate netwark, 35 sites interconnected via BAY/Wellfleet routers.
These 35 sites have individual unique area codes associated with them.
Implementation of config as I described on each of the sites (Slackware,
Sendmail, Hylafax)
Users are connected to Novell Intranetware LAN's on every site, GroupWise
5.2 is being used as mailing system,
GroupWise SMTP gateways on every site between the Groupwise and the
Hylafax environments

The users should transparently be able to send faxes out via mail, the
lowest cost routing should be performed on the Slackware box, rather than
on the GroupWise side of the world. I have a few addressing rules set up
under the groupwise environment to make it easy for the users to send a
fax.

The fun never stops, does it?

Renier Grobler

internet: rgrobler@eafrica.co.za