Re: Using the computer as fax-server/answering machine

Thomas Wimmer wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am currently using HylaFAX v4.0pl1-12 on a Linux machine (SuSE 5.1).
>
> Now I do want to use the same computer as an answering machine.
>
> I read something about "adaptive answering support" in which the
> faxgetty hands over the communication line if the incoming call is
> contain data (as opposed to fax).
>
> Is it possible to do the same for incoming voice calls ?
>
> and how do I set up a answering machine ? (are there some
> installation-guides available ?)
>
> I do have a "Voice-Modem" (well, at least thats printed on the package).
>
> Thanks
>
> Thomas
> --
>
> Thomas Wimmer                    | When you're in a fight with an idiot,
> http://lcars.wh.uni-stuttgart.de | difficult for other people
> thomas@lcars.wh.uni-stuttgart.de | to tell which one the idiot is.

You can do it by replacing faxgetty with vgetty from the
mgetty+sendfax-package. Works fine with me; only problem was my new
modem (USR Sportster Message Plus) was not detected by vgetty, so I had
to add the ID to the source code and recompile. After that, everything
worked fine. For an installation guide, read the documentation coming
with mgetty+sendfax and HylaFAX; it should help.

Jens

  Jens Rehaag                 Leibnizstr. 24/153, 38678
Clausthal-Zellerfeld
  e-mail: jens.rehaag@tu-clausthal.de              Tel./Fax:
+49-5323-922856