Re: HFAXD access control

Nico Garcia wrote:

    > Read the man page of HylaFAX's hosts(4F) file twice and
    > carefully; it tells *exactly* where this file is located and
    > what the syntax for admin accounts is.

    Matthias? It's very easy to miss this documentation as it stands,
    since doing "man hosts" on many systems simply gives the system's page
    for /etc/hosts, not the Hylafax "hosts" documentation. Under SunOS,
    with the latest beta, for example, they are are both in section 5 of
    the man pages: You have to be careful to install the HylaFAX man pages
    in a separate directory to prevent over-writing the original one.

    I've argued before for changing that filename and moving the docs to
    "hosts.fax", for potentially this sort of situation or confusion
    to new users. I've been a bit busy to re-submit this patch for the
    latest update. As maintainer of the code, do you want it?

I explained a few times to the list and to you directly the
reason for not wanting this change. It affects all running
installations and the advantage of such a change isn't this
worth compared(!) with the confusion it will cause.

Also I can't see how the text of the man page of the /etc/hosts
file which goes like:

NAME
     hosts - host name data base
SYNOPSIS
     /etc/hosts
DESCRIPTION
     The hosts file  contains  information  regarding  the  known
     hosts  on  the  DARPA Internet......

has something todo with fax software and can cause such trouble
mixing up the files.

The main problem is that everyone who goes using HylaFAX should
start by locating all man pages and reading them all *before* running
the first start of the server (maybe even before start to compile
the software). If you locate all pages you will perhaps print (and
read) the right hosts(4F) file by itself. The directory where the files
are stored during installation may be changed during run of ./configure.

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions