TextFmt.c++/.h & ISO-8859-1; Solution: (unsigned const char) kludge;

TextFmt.h.patch TextFmt.c++.patch
Parts/attachments:
   1 Shown    52 lines	Text
   2   OK   ~1.4 KB	Text, "/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.h.patch"
   3   OK   ~2.1 KB	Text, "/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.c++.patch

/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.h.patch
/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.c++.patch

Above patches solves ``textfmt'' bugs on any platform/any OS and if
applied by hand, applicable also to older versions of hylafax. Now no
more problems with international character sets and textfmt!

Hi Sam,

	have inserted ``(unsigned const char)'' in TextFmt.h and have
added a few lines to hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.c++ to make it function
better in an international environment and with bad data in the upper
character-codes of the metrics-files in the distribution.

Find commented patches attached. Feel free to remove the comments, they
are just there to tell you and others why I did what I did.

The above patches have been thoroughly tested by me. They work well. They
fix a programming error where values in an array are selected using
*negative* indices, causing random memory addresses to be refereced. This
is the cause of much pain in the international Hylafax community. Help is
on it's way! Especially, TextFmt.h.patch solves the worst problem, but
TextFmt.c++.patch may also be neccessary + that it solves minor errors in
the processing of font width data from font metrics files by ignoring data
in the files for character values above 127, because the supplied font
metrics files cannot reliably be used for values above 127 -- iso 8859-1,
instead it uses the same default Sam uses when no font metrics files are
found, but only for values above 127, values up to 127 are read as before.

So, I repeat my questions, in case anyone forgot it among all the
above verbiage, [ :-) ]  does anyone know if my patches for 8bit
iso8859-1 international character sets will make it into the main
HylaFax distribution?

Q2: Who is today "official maintainer" of the HylaFax source?
Is it still Sam Leffler <sam@engr.sgi.com>?  I never heard from
him after my February 1997 post.

Q3: Is there anything at all going on with the HylaFax project
anymore?

Thanks!

Leif Erlingsson                 Tel     +46 8 604-0995
DATA LEGE                       Fax     +46 8 605-2551
Glavagatan 33                   URL     http://www.lege.com
123 71  Farsta,  Sweden         Email   mailto:leif@lege.com
I remember the past.  I am not doomed to buy Microsoft products.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions