Re: rtscts on SGI Indy

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Hans Christiansen wrote:

[snip]

> When I set the ModemFlowControl to rtscts and the speed setting to 38400
> baud then the pages are corrupted at the other end. (As somebody very
> kindly pointed out this seemed to be due to handshaking problems).
>
> If I set the baudrate to 9600 this problem does NOT occur!
>
> Changing the config file to use xon/xoff then things seem to go well.
>
> I am wondering if there is something wrong with my hardware. I have checked
> the cable I am using against the documentation that came with the Indy and
> that seems ok.

This is 'cos most fax-modem-chip-firmware will only handle faxes at a
top speed of 19200/xon-xoff at best. If you plan to use your modem for
data-connections as well, you should set it to the highest possible
speed with RTS/CTS flow control, and let HylaFAX switch to a lower
rate when it receieves a fax. ie

    ModemRate:          38400
    ModemFlowControl:   rtscts

    ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd: "<19200><xon>"  # lock line rate and flow-control

--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
The Internet: an empirical test of the idea that a million monkeys

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions