Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

Helen Birkmann wrote:

    > Did you run the netstat(1) while a telnet session to port
    > 4559 was in progress? If there is no client connection to
    > port 4559 it will show only the LISTEN, if there is a
    > connection to port 4559 it will also schow ESTABLISHED lines.

    Yes, I did:

    tcp	0	0	127.0.0.1.4559	127.0.0.1.1025	ESTABLISHED
    tcp	0	0	127.0.0.1.1025	127.0.0.1.4559	ESTABLISHED
    tcp	*.*	4559					LISTEN

Yes, and it looks fine now. One established connection from
127.0.0.1.4559 <--> 127.0.0.1.1025 and a listen on all interfaces
for port 4559. Fine.

    > The "-I" will only work if hfaxd(1M) is started from the inetd(1M)
    > via an entry in inetd.conf(4F). "-I" means: the client/server
    > protocol is using stdin and stdout (these file descriptors are
    > handed over by inetd(1M) as a connected socket). If you use
    > "-I" in a boot-time start script it will not work. On the
    > other hand you can't use "-i hylafax" in inetd.conf(4F) because
    > inetd(1M) is listening on port "hylafax" and not hfaxd(1M) itself.
    > Your error message below "4559 in use" will be the result of
    > using "-i hylafax" in inetd.conf(4F).  In inetd.conf(4F) you must
    > use "-I".

    inetd.conf:

    hylafax  stream  tcp  nowait  fax /usr/contrib/lib/hylafax/hfaxd hfaxd -I

The above line looks ok...

    rc:

    /usr/contrib/bin/faxq
    /usr/contrib/lib/hylafax/hfaxd -i
                             ^^^^^^^^

and this line is wrong (the port is missing after the "-i" flag
and it will also conflict with the entry in inetd.conf(4F). You
should not have both lines. Remove one and re-boot later. For
the moment you can go on because you have a fine listening
daemon for port 4559 (inetd(1M)) and this daemon will launch
a correct hfaxd(1M) for each connection.

    After reboot, only faxq shows up as a process

That's also normal because hfaxd(1M) isn't running by itself.
It gets started from the listening daemon inetd(1M) if a connection
on port 4559 comes in.

    and the error message
    during bootup says:
    hylafax usage	[-i port] [-o port] [-s port]

Yes, the port is missing in the start script in rc.

    I then go to /usr/contrib/lib/hylafax directory and type:

    ./hfaxd -i 4559

Why? You have a working entry in inetd.conf(4F) and the inetd(1M)
is listening on port 4559. Why do you want to start another service
for the same port. Please take a book about TCP/IP, ports and network
services and read also the man page of inetd(1M) to get more
feeling how the things should work.

    HylaFax starts up and I get the following error in the daemonlog:
    HylaFax INET: bind (port 4559) already in use; unable to initialize server

Of course the port is in use: inetd(1M) is listening on it.

    and I get the password prompt when trying to issue sendfax or faxstat
    fromt he command line.

Ok. But this is unrelated to the above. Please show your entries
in HylaFAX's hosts(4F) file.

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions