Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 15:28:00 -0800
From: John Conover <john@johncon.johncon.com>
To: Nico Garcia <raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu>
Cc: John Conover <john@johncon.johncon.com>, flexfax@sgi.com
Subject: Re: flexfax: Cardinal modem.
Sender: owner-flexfax@celestial.com

Nico Garcia writes:

> > I'm trying to make a config.ttyS1 for the Cardinal modem. I keep
> > getting "unable to determine modem type" in the syslog. How do the
> > ModemMfrQueryCmd, ModemModelQueryCmd, ModemRevQueryCmd commands work?
> > I looked in the docs, and couldn't find anything.
>
> Step back here: what operating system, what brand of Cardinal modem,
> what version of HylaFAX, and is the modem internal or external?

Its a Cardinal Connecta, model 3480, external 56K X2 Fax Modem,
running on Linux 1.2.8. The modem claims to support class 2.0, and
seems to be a US Robotics Sportster clone, which I am currently using
with HylaFAX in class 1. I wanted to see if the 2.0 worked where the
USR's doesn't. The Connecta seems to use the same command set as the
USR, (The I*'s formats may be different,) and the same TI DSP chip. I
tried the USR's config file for 2.0, but it gave grumblings in the
syslog.

I got the modem as an inexpensive add on for UUCP, started using it
for diald and pppd, and the firmware seemed robust. So, I thought I
would give it a test drive in class 2.0.

	John

--

John Conover, 631 Lamont Ct., Campbell, CA., 95008, USA.
VOX 408.370.2688, FAX 408.379.9602

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions