faxgetty as a callback server.

Dear readers,
	here I am, after an hylafax reinstall, with a question I tryied to
pose a long time ago. Hope I'll not get too many bad answers...

In my experience, faxgetty handles the modem much better than any other
getty I tried, especially in the useful mixed fax/data environment.

Now, mgetty have two nice features, which are autoppp, and callback.
autoppp means I don't have to set up a ppp account, with a common
password, but rather have mgetty recognize ppp traffic, start pppd with
the login and pap options, and all is done with the standard username and
password. Callback means... you know that. Now, I have managed to have
mgetty called from faxgetty, but doing that I lost the callback option.
What I think is needed is a small external program which asks faxgetty (or
faxq, I still haven't understood which program does handle the calling)
via the FIFO and asks it to call a telephone number, and then pass the
serial line to another program, which, should be (I know, you are
surprised) mgetty. Is it feasible? How many people could like such a
feature?

How many could help a mostly fortran/awk coder getting it working?

Yours,

lorenzo

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions