Re: Hylafax rpm issues

Steve Williams writes:

 > MANY MANY MANY problems are caused by non-cooperative programs attempting
 > to use UUCP locking to prevent contention to the modem device.
 >
 > If you are advocating a link to /dev/modem, then it MUST be clear that
 > PPP, minicom, cu, uucp, etc ALL USE /dev/modem as the device.  If only one
 > of those applications uses /dev/cua* as their device, the UUCP locking
 > will fail miserably.  This should be VERY CLEAR in your documentation.

Redhat installation makes /dev/modem symbolic link at the time of
installation. And yes, all the modem related programs like minicom do come
with /dev/modem as the default.

I know that there is a contoversy on /dev/modem vs /dev/cua*
( or /dev/ttS*). People have their preferences and I don't want
to get embroiled in that. Whichever I choose I displease the
other camp. I just chose /dev/modem because that is what
is the default on Redhat ( I am willing to be corrected on this).

Ramana

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions