Re: Hylafax rpm issues

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Ramana Juvvadi wrote:

> Ed Weinberg writes:
>

>  > Here is the reasponse:
>  > Warning, No "hylafax" service definition, using default 4559/tcp.
>  > Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.
>  > (end of response)
>
> Check that following entries are present
>

> /etc/inetd.conf
>
> 	hylafax stream  tcp     nowait  fax     /usr/sbin/hfaxd hfaxd -I

Bad ferret! No biscuit! The HylaFAX distribution should use the
"hylafax" script in the SysV init scripts to initiate the server, by
putting it into (as I remember) /etc/rc.2d and symbolic links to the
appropriate subdirectories there as Shylafax and Khylafax.

> /etc/services
>
> 	hylafax 4559/tcp # HylaFAX client-server protocol
> 	snpp    444/tcp         # Simple Network Paging Protocol

You left out:
	fax	4557/tcp # Old Flexfax client-server protocol

> The rpm -e runs a pre-uninstall script which removes all these
> entries. rpm -i just adds them back.
>
> Make sure that there is a symbolic link /dev/modem
> to one of /dev/cua*

Again: /dev/cua* is not correct. You should use /dev/ttyS*, since the
main Linux developers (such as Ted T'so at MIT) believe that the
split-device trick used on /dev/ttyS* and /dev/cua* is a piece of
unspeakable mucous secretion and planned (at last question) to
discontinue its inclusion.

> This is not foolproof method. But I hope it takes you farther than
> before.

The effort is cool. Do you think you could accomodate my suggestions?

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu