MultiTech Multimodem 5600ZDX and Adaptive answer

OK,

I'm running a newly installed hylafax v4.0-p11 on FreeBSD 2.2.1.

I am attempting to use a new Multitech k56flex modem (MT5600ZDX).
Rom level is reported by modem to be "V1.01-K56_DLS".

To summerize, I get everything but adaptive answer to work and I need
some advice in proceeding with that.

A brief history is that I had hylafax version 3.0something working very
well with an older Multitech 28.8 modem.  I got this new modem and have
been able to get everything but adaptive answer to work.  (data dial out,
fax dial out, and either fax in or data in but not both).

The old modem was a Class2 but this new modem is a Class1.  The old would
do adaptive answer and hylafax would correctly route the incoming call.

The new modem seems to do adaptive answer but something does not work
right.  Since I don't have any fax modem command set documenetation I
don't know who is dropping the ball.

But since adaptive answer seems to be only a Class2 thing I tried setting
up the Class1 adaptive answer scheme:

AdaptiveAnswer:         yes             # enable adaptive answer
AnswerRotary:           "fax data"      # answer for fax, then data
ModemAnswerCmd:         ATH+FCLASS=1;A   # default is to answer as fax
ModemAnswerDataCmd:     ATH+FCLASS=0;A  # hangup and answer as data
Class1RecvIdentTimer:   5000 	        # timeout fax answer in 5 secs

But this does not work either.  Rather, it will correctly answer fax calls
but not data calls.  If I change the sequence to "data" then it will
correctly answer data calls.  This is how I've left it for now...

When I talk to the modem with a terminal program I get the impression
that thing are not working *exactly* right.  I can set it to do adaptive
answer, then test it by calling in with data or with fax.  But the result
strings I see from the modem are into quite what I expect.  Same with the
Class1 answer scheme.  If I dial in with data and tell it to do a FAX
answer (at+fclass1;a) my modem claims it connected.  But it didn't!  I
*think* that my modem is lying (broken) which is why HylaFax is to working
correctly.

So, anyone been successful getting this to work?  Any one else had same
problems?  Any help for me?

Finally, if this modem is just not going to work for what I want what
new k56flex modem is working well?

Thanks,

                                                      ooooo
 -- Tom Unger                                       oo\    oo
    Wet Weather Consulting                         o   \     o
    (206)325-7403                                 o  B I\V I  o
                                                   o     \   o
                                                    oo    \oo
                                                      ooooo

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions