Re: Modem not dialing correct number.

At 14:51 25/09/1997 -0400, Jason Malone wrote:
>[snip]
>I installed the software on a Linux 2.0.29 box with an external USR 28.8
>Sportster.  The main thing I want to use the package for right now is to
setup
>an email to fax gateway.  I think I have sendmail configured correctly
because
>when I send mail to JasonMalone@2347615.FAX the information gets passed to
the
>faxq for processing.  The problem is that when I send the message, I
>eventually
>get a no answer error from faxstat -s. Also it is obvious from the modem
>speaker that it is dialing way to many numbers.  Has anyone seen this
problem
>before?

Can we check the mailfax script?  Mine currently looks like this :-

#! /bin/sh
#
#  mailfax - email to fax gateway for sendmail
#
#  This file should be installed as /usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax
#
/usr/local/bin/faxmail -v -n -p 11 \
        -Ml=0.75in,t=2.00in -d "$1@$2" "$3" 2>>/var/log/faxlog

Note that the order of the parameters passed to the script ( the "$1@$2"
"$3" bit above ) reflects the arguments specified on the sendmail fax
mailer - if you look at your sendmail.cf file, right at the end of the
mailer definitions you should see something like :

	A=mailfax $u $h $f

These are the sendmail user, host and from arguments respectively, and
the mailfax script parameters needs to be in the same order.

[If this is missing from the sendmail.cf, you need to go back to the 'mc'
 macro file and look at that again (please do not edit the 'cf' file) ].

Altho' the mailfax script is owned by root/root; it has 555 permissions.
I also orginally had problems getting it running - it turned out to be the
permissions on the faxlog file - increasing them to 666 did the trick.

Hope this has been of some help,

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.