Re: Re: Umlaute in HylaFAX

	Hi Matthias,

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:33:43PM +0200, Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de wrote:

> Is it a good idea to discuss this topic in German language
> in this mailing-list?

well, I have to apologize for that, sorry ...
I replied to a message I received by personal mail and thought it
could be a good idea, to let others know, how to solve this problem. I
replied in german language, because it was the language the first
message was written in.

Sorry, I promise to not do this again ... :-)

	stefan

But, to reach the goal of my first letter, I try to translate the
discussion. The question was, how to send faxes converted from
(ASCII-) text files including german umlaut characters. The original
textfmt-program, as shipped with hylafax, fails on that.

The answer to this problem is the usage of 'a2ps' instead of
'textfmt'. I by myself replaced every occurance of 'textfmt' in the
'typerulesfile' by a call to 'a2ps' in the following manner:

0       string          #Inventor V	error	IRIS Inventor file
>15     string          binary		error	binary IRIS Inventor file
>15     string          ascii		ps	a2ps -nc -nP -r -8 -1 -F10.0\
									-B -p  >%o <%i
#
# This causes anything else with ascii-only data to be treated as text.
#
0	ascii		x		ps	a2ps -nc -nP -r -8 -1 -F10.0\
							-B -p  >%o <%i
The 'a2ps' program e.g. is included in the 'apsfilter' package, which
should be part of the major Linux-distributions and such can be found
on ftp-servers carrying Linux-software.

	stefan

--
	Stefan Schober, Pforzheim/Germany